Denholme is well supplied with community facilities, but the Mechanics Institute is widely regarded as the key local venue, right at the heart of the village, accommodating both services and leisure opportunities Its central location places it within a few minutes walking distance for 90% of the village, and given that many residents are elderly this is a significant benefit.
There is a Main Hall upstairs, a Community Room with accessible ramp and door, a fully fitted kitchen, and a Reading Room – all available to hire.
Current users of the Mechanics Institute include:
- Denholme Town Council who haveuse of a ground floor room, used as a Council Chamber (meetings twice a month on average as well as providing office space for the Town Clerk) and the room is equipped and furnished for this purpose
- Denholme Community Association who use the building regularly for events and meetings
- Rural Crafters (weekly)
- St Paul’s Wives Group (fortnightly)
- Denholme Elders
- Lunch Club (weekly on Tuesdays)
- Slimming World (weekly)
- Pilates (weekly)
- Tiny Tots Baby & Toddler Group (weekly on Weds afternoons)
- Mini Creations Kids Art Club (twice weekly)
- Police Contact Point (twice a week)
- Local History Group (bi-monthly)
- Bronte Well Being Cafe (monthly)
- Library (run by local volunteers, open for 5 two-hour sessions each week)
To hire a room at the Mechanics Institute:
- Contact Alison on 07531 855150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
There are other high quality facilities available in the village. For example Denholme Shared Church offers an attractive, large room which is used by church based groups
but has spare capacity available. The Youth Café, school, and scout hut offer facilities specifically geared around the needs of younger people. Local pubs and the conservative club offer free meeting and social venues, and Doe Park sailing centre is a specialist resource which attracts users from across the district.